These bickies were very popular at our recent Open day. Thanks to Michiel and Suuz for the recipe!
250g self-raising flour
150g butter, cubed (unsalted)
125g brown sugar
15g spice mix (see below)
2-3 tablespoons of milk
Pinch of salt
Spice mix secret recipe
8 teaspoons/parts of cinnamon
2 teaspoons/parts of nutmeg
2 teaspoons/parts of cloves
1 teaspoon/part of ginger powder
1 teaspoon/part of aniseed
½ teaspoon/part of white pepper
½ teaspoon/part of coriander (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 175C.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, butter (a little soft makes it easier to mix), spice mix and pinch of salt.
- Mix / knead the mixture with your hands while adding a spoon of milk (2-3 should be enough) until you get a nice and firm dough ball.
- Roll little dough balls (5g each), lay them on a tray lined with baking paper and gently press them.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes and then let them cool off. It smells lovely when they come out of the oven 😊.
- The cookies should be crunchy and with a nice sweet and spicy flavour. Great to enjoy with a cup of tea!
- You can store the pepernoten in a closed container to keep them fresh and crunchy for longer (1-2 weeks).